group of concerned residents in East Milwaukie met at the home of Mrs.
& Mrs. Charles Hansen on Feb. 2, 1926 to discuss a sewer system that
the city was proposing to build. From
this meeting the East Milwaukie Progressive Club began, with Roy Miller as
meeting at members’ homes, and later the Milwaukie Fire Station, the
club decided to build a meeting hall.
Land was purchased for $675, and the work of clearing trees and
blasting stumps was begun.
of 1928 marked the beginning excavation of the 40 x 100 feet basement.
On Aug. 12th, the men raised the rafters, and the
“women came to help and also served the dinner”.
By September, the roof was shingled and the gutters were hung.
By December, the exterior was sided.
The basement was finished by the end of the following May.
The first electric lights were powered from Mr. Hookum’s barn
all of the major construction had been financed with donations, but, by
the end of 1928, funds were running short.
the January 1929 meeting, it was noted that an additional $714 had been
raised, but it wasn’t enough.
When the officers proposed to mortgage the building, a terrible
dispute arose. The directors, secretary and treasurer resigned when
the members voted against the idea. New
officers were elected to take their places, and by June, the club finally
authorized securing notes “not to exceed 8%”.
By Jan. 1930, the debt totaled $1,656 (loans weren’t paid off
building served many social and
community functions over the years, and the East Milwaukie Progressive
Club, which changed its name in 1935 to the Milwaukie Community Club,
continues to raise funds to maintain and upgrade the facility.
The club is a non-profit Oregon corporation. (researched by Ed Warmoth, 1998)
Web design: 2001 by Nancy J. Thornton, webmaster